Fish hydrolysate is composed of fish and glucose based sugars and uses lacto bacillus to break everything down using enzymes. Fish hydryolysate doesn’t undergo the heating and skimming process that you get with fish emulsion products. Heating breaks down beneficial amino acid chains and this cold process also retains the fats and oils that microbes love.
1. Get some fish, you might as well use fish discards like fish heads, guts, etc. We use whole fish as there are naturally wider range of nutrients present.
2. Cut fish into chunks then either blend or run through a meat mincer. The finer the fish bits, the more effective the fermentation.
5. Add lacto bacilli to blended fish mixture. Approx. 2tbsp per L. We used liquid from a Lacto ferment, eg, Kimchi/ Sauerkraut.
6. Now you have liquefied fish, sugar, and lacto. Pour this mixture into a container to ferment. Cover with a cloth/ mesh to stop insects, etc. The process takes anywhere from 2 weeks to over a month. You know its finished by the smell. During fermentation there is a pungent smell, but once completed there should be little more than a faint vinegar smell.
7. Transfer it to a smaller container.
How to use;
Mix 0.5tbsp/litre for applications.
· Use as a soil drench as opposed to foliar spray.
· Inoculate compost to boost fungal population.
· Use in compost teas to boost fungal growth, add Nitrogen. Use at ¼ strength for this application
· Mix in water when watering plants, as a natural fish fertilizer and to enhance populations of micro-organisms in the soil
· Mix with water for an effective protein/lacto boost for your animals. They'll love or hate it
ridgedale PERMACULTURE’S primary responsibility is regenerating landscapes, ecosystem processes and soils through resilient, replicable, scalable and profitable symbiotic farm enterprises. Our secondary responsibility is to educate, facilitate, inform and empower people into action through regenerative design, enterprise and holistic decision-making that fosters and stimulates local community, economy and resilience.
Upcoming Trainings at Ridgedale Permaculture
Permaculture Design Course 18th July- 2nd Aug
Details & Booking
10 Week Professional Permaculture Internship 18TH JUL - 26TH SEPT 2014
The 10 Week internship includes over 530hrs of curriculum based learning & 5 Certificate Courses;
- 90hr+ PDC certified by PRI (Aus) & PC Assoc (UK)
- 5 day Forest Gardens & Perennial Cropping
- 5 day Regenerating Soils
- 5 day Keyline® Design & Holistic Management®
- 5 day Teaching Permaculture Creatively
Details & Booking